美德与伟大不能兼得。
Eating words has never given me indigestion.
我吃文字从来没反胃过。
In War: Resolution,In Defeat: Defiance,In Victory: MagnaminityIn Peace: Good Will.
战争中,决心。
失败中,不屈。
胜利中,慷慨。
和平中,好意。
The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong.
世界历史可以这样总结:强国总行不义。等到他们醒悟了,他们不已经不再强了。
Study history, study history. In history lies all the secrets of statecraft.
学历史,学历史。历史里藏着一切的智慧。
We are waiting for the long-promised invasion. So are the fishes.
我们等待入侵很久了。鱼也是。
My conclusion on Freewill and predestination- they are identical.
我对自由意志和先验宿命的理解:它们是一样的。
Decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all-powerful to be impotent.
(张伯伦)决定不做决定,决心动摇不定,坚定地随波逐流,稳稳地随风摇曳,强大到一无所成。
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.
世界上已经有太多谎言,不幸的是,它们一半都是真的。
How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen: all know how to die. But the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytising faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science - the science against which it had vainly struggled - the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.
穆斯林的拯救在于脱离宗教偏见。
Although prepared for martyrdom, I prefer that it be postponed.
虽然我准备好成仁了,但这事赶晚不赶早。
Success always demands a greater effort.
成功总需要更多努力。
The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law and particularly to deny him the judgement of his peers is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist.
行政机关不经审判就剥夺公民的自游是世间最丑恶的罪行。这也是极权正辅---共馋和纳粹---的基础。
Life is fraught with opportunities to keep your mouth shut.
生命中你有许多机会闭紧嘴巴。
They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they"d make up their minds.
据说人无完人。又据说磨练出完美。你们对下词好吗?
Always remember, that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
我欠酒多,酒欠我少。
No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism.
最可怕的事情就是不容忍的乌托邦。
Socialism needs to pull down wealth; liberalism seeks to raise up poverty. Socialism would destroy private interests, Liberalism would preserve [them] ... by reconciling them with public right. Socialism would kill enterprise; Liberalism would rescue enterprise from the trammels of privilege and preference. Socialism assails the preeminence of the individual; Liberalism seeks ... to build up a minimum standard for the mass. Socialism exalts the rule; Liberalism exalts the man. Socialism attacks capitalism; Liberalism attacks monopoly.
涉汇煮意要排泄财富,自游主义要结束贫穷。涉汇煮意要消除私利,自游主义要保存自游。涉汇煮意要杀死企业,自游主义要保护企业不受特权干扰。涉汇煮意要攻击个人的至高地位,自游主义要给穷人最低限度的保障。涉汇煮意崇拜规章,自游主义崇拜人性。涉汇煮意攻击自游主义,自游主义攻击任何形式的思想垄断。
Money is like manure, its only good if you spread it around.
钱就像肥料,广施才有效。
I never worry about action, but only about inaction.
我从不担心行动的危险,我更担心不行动的危险。